Ok, no photos for this one and you are thankful.
We flew back from NY on NYEve. We all had different things for b-fast and on the plane the kids had Zone bars and coke and we just had different airport stuff....no common denominator.
Got home around 6 and it's just too late to pick up salmon from El Pescador so we decided to do our fave local Greek place. But they are booked, so I order takeout. Well, as it ends up only one kid had her own special dish and the rest of us shared all the same stuff. Bill ate the most and by 11pm, he was barfing big time. Next gal goes down around 1am after keeping me up with her misery for an hour or so. By 5, I who ate the least, am worshiping at the porcelain god. Gal 2 and I are fine after the initial insult come Rose Parade time but Bill is a mess until well into 2009. Gal 1 is unscathed having only had her special dish and no sharing.
It doesn't take 2 MDs to figure out it's food poisoning and by the timing, it's likely Staphylococcus. Google it to find out how it gets into food and then you will feel sick too.
So no NY champagne and basically Gatorade, jello, bananas and chicken broth until Jan 3. Nina wonders how she lucked out to only love the gyros.
I got a nice response from the manager although it was to offer another free entree and not to fire the loser who was contaminating the food as I'd asked. I wrote him only to make sure it doesn't happen again. The worst thing a restaurant can do is to poison their customers (not to overcharge during restaurant week). And (I understand why he had to do this) he said his restaurant was perfect and maybe we ate something else or even had a little too much bubbly. No sir, no bubbly for us this year...we were too busy returning the Greek food in the bathroom!
So for the second time in my life I have gotten food poisoning that I am sure of and it is awful. Sucks because I loved their food in the past and we rarely eat out so this is a double insult.
If you can, just cook yourself---per Bittman--it's so much nicer. Although I am happy having survived the "barnyardish" wontons at Big Wong King in Chinatown over Christmas!